By dataflow process, I mean the course of movement of data in a process with illustrations of the data store. From my point of view, there are some fundamental questions to consider before changes are made to any dataflow process.
- What is the current flow
- Why is it currently flowing that way
- What benefits/dis-benefits are there in the current flow
- Does the current flow present with many hand-offs or inefficiencies?
- Who are the individuals involved in this current model – This helps to better understand the historic of the flow
- What is the proposed new process
- What benefits/dis-benefits has this got over the previous process?
- Is this a part change or an over-haul?
- If part change, what knock-on effect will this have on other parts of the entire process?
- Has the knock on effect being evaluated or assessed?
- Does the proposed change create more work in other areas?
- Are all the individuals involved in the current model aware of the proposed change?
- Does the proposed change meet the business needs/requirements? – Reduction in cost/ overhead/overall process time, elimination of redundancy et al.